Monday, July 3, 2017

CANADA CELEBRATES AND GRANDSON DELIGHTS


Happy July, dear readers..
My Birds of Canada calendar makes it easy for me this month -
Mr and Mrs Cardinal, Blue Jay and Chickadees, if I am not mistaken.

Happy 150th Birthday and Canada Day to our Canadian friends,
 and DD and her little family.


Our grandsons have been decorating cakes with a maple leaf, a school holiday activity.  They are having a fun Summer.



Lots of activity this weekend on Ottawa's Capital Hill..


The impossibly cute Justin Trudeau and his wife Sophie Gregoire -
love his sox and her shoes...very celebratory!


Prince Charles falls for the Trudeau charm...




Meanwhile, back in the Cardinal Nest we have had a touch of real Winter.
Mr C is going well with his knee rehabilitation, and uses his vintage crotchet rug made by his Aunt to keep warm in the evenings.
He has started to drive the car, and walk short distances without sticks.
Life is beginning to return to normal.



Last week I bought a new washing machine, suddenly deciding I could no longer tolerate the old one and its crazy ideas regarding fabrics...

Never thought I'd find an appliance so attractive.
 I am actually finding reasons to wash things, just to try out all the various functions.
Ah, technology...


The delivery guys gave me a refrigerator box for Little Aussie -
because they are bigger.  He made this interesting construction for himself.
You crawl in the lower door, then poke yourself through an internal hole into the upper section.  Not recommended for the claustrophobic...


Stay out?  
No problem conforming to that request...


We watched the original Ghostbusters movie - our kids loved it back in the day.
It is not at all scary, only quaint and funny now.
Aussie was keen to see the Stay Puft Marshmallow man.




My lovely friend M gave me this gorgeous set of applique napkins, absolutely beautifully made by her own fair hands, back in the day.
Thank you so much, and I will treasure them always.
Don't they look wonderful with my fruity tablecloth from Florence?


Whatever do you think my red coleus is up to?


I am thinking of making a red dress using my old Catherine pattern, from a length of wool flannel in the stash.  Seems wrong not to...

Have a good week

XXXXX













25 comments:

  1. I think you should frame that lovely bird fountain top photo, Trish!

    I wish I could travel more. I have never been to Canada and would love to at least go to the major cities.

    I think many Americans are in love with Justin Trudeau too.

    Nice to know the grandchildren and their grandpa are
    doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole world loves Justin Trudeau! I hope you get to Canada Debra - only a short flight to Ottawa from your end.

      Delete
  2. Hello Patricia,

    Happy to hear Mr. C's knee is getting back to normal. I love the crochet blanket too.
    Have a great week
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Helen, We like to have a few items handed down in the family, and the shade of green in the blanket has always appealed to me. Happy Summertime to you. xx

      Delete
  3. Love the box "Stay Out", that's priceless!
    When we were kids this is what we did with those giant boxes, we would get into the box and then, roll the box around the yard, as we crashed around inside it! Yes, I did survive my childhood, but I don't know how! LOL!
    OH! And the birds...you have them right except the blue one, that is a Bluebird, not the Blue Jay! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good game, rolling around in the boxes. Maybe he can do that next time..
      Oh yes, I now notice the blue bird has the wrong head for a blue jay. Silly me, but nice to know there are Two pretty blue birds flying about North America.

      Delete
    2. HI Patricia....
      Kay beat me to it! I was going to say Bluebird....
      Love the old boxes...such fun...."STAY OUT"....hilarious!
      Glad to hear hubby on the mend...I am sure it is down to you giving plenty of TLC 💕
      Cheers!
      Linda :o)

      Delete
    3. I should pay more attention to a blue bird when I see it. And I will! Have to look after the hubby, he being the 'breadwinner' and all :)
      Cheers Linda.

      Delete
  4. Patricia, what fun your grandsons are having decorating their cakes. The vintage crocheted blanket is pretty with all the different colors, and looks nice and warm. The napkins that your friend made are sweet, such a special gift. I bet little Aussie is having a blast in his BIG box, and I laughed at the sign, "Stay Out" haha. I remember the kids using their imagination and making their own forts with boxes when they were little.

    It's our fourth of July today, and just celebrating with a quiet dinner of hot dogs and baked beans.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boxes are such a great toy for kids, aren't they? Some things never change.
      Happy fourth of July, and hot dogs and beans sounds very patriotic and American to me. Enjoy!

      Delete
  5. I think I may have missed one of your posts, apologies. It's good news to hear your husband is doing well, this must be a big relief to you. And what fun you have with the boys - simple pleasures are always the best. You are giving them so much time and attention, they will grow up to be secure and content. Better old fashioned loving interaction than social media and the screen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah Liz. We did not realise how many goals there were to be reached, as he achieves them one by one. Quite a few to go, but he is very diligent. I do enjoy finding a few things to have set up ready for Little Aussie. He is very visual, and spots anything I change around the house, and little goodies I place for him to find. Fun for me too :)

      Delete
  6. Ah boxes.. what fun... I look forward to seeing the dress.. the red coleus looks like it is having an identity crisis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, made a mess of the red lining toile, but went to Spotty for more red and fingers crossed for the weekend effort! That coleus certainly is confused, and clearly been looking too hard at the plant next door...

      Delete
  7. Love the fridge box house! The boxes are always the most fun aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, we all smile in memory of childhood boxes, big and small. Cats love them too :)

      Delete
  8. Its a long time since I visited Patricia...but its lovely to see you are still posting. Fondest wishes Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice! So lovely to see you face, and know you are well. Welcome back to blogland, we have missed you. Best Wishes for a gorgeous French Summer! xo

      Delete
  9. Hi Trish! Love the pics of celebrations in Canada! I think I'd move there just to have Mr. Trudeau be my leader - what a hottie! Lol
    So happy to hear that your Mr. is on the mend! And I think a dress as you described is a perfect plan. You'll have to share the after pics you know. ;)

    Blessings on the rest of your week. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every country deserves at least one leader like M.Trudeau! Saw him on Insta charming the Queen in Scotland yesterday...
      Blessings to you too Carrie. xx

      Delete
  10. Love the pics of celebrations in Canada,my niece is over there at the moment.
    My grandies have so much fun with empty boxes,lol,love the ghost busters movie,hope you have a lovely day Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you niece is enjoying the Canadian Summer.
      The ghost busters movie is so funny, worth a second look :)

      Delete
  11. So many fun things. I hope you enjoyed Canada Day, you can't help but enjoy a sweet grandson.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amelia, nothing like a sweet little boy for company...too bad he has to grow up into a teen!
      xo

      Delete